Monday, May 18, 2009

Lower expectations for a good time

It's been a long time since I've been to the movies. But then all of a sudden, three movies in three days. Star Trek, Wolverine and Angels & Demons. You just gotta love the summer blockbusters.

Since I've seen these movies, and I do have a lot of time, the logical thing to do is to give a quick review of the films. So here goes....

STAR TREK

I've never been a Trekkie but I do know the basic story line and the characters. I wasn't really looking forward to see the films but after seeing some rave reviews, I had a change of heart.
The verdict..... I didn't like it. It was okey, the CGI were excellent and the characters true to the series. The only problem is, like Transformers and Indiana Jones, there were a lot of inapropriate jokes. I may be the only one thinking this, but it really did ruin the movie for me. Don't know what i mean? Think back to the monkey vein swinging scene in Indiana Jones and you'll understand.

Wolverine

Being a fan of Marvel since forever, I was very dissapointed at seeing all the negative reviews. So my expectations were greatly lowered when I finally did see the movie. I'm not ashamed of admitting that I somewhat enjoyed it. It wasn't great or exceptational but as an action movie, it was watchable. The only problem I had with it were the unecessary characters (Blob, Will.i.am, Ryan Reynolds) and the lack of the animal berserker Wolverine. Wolverine seemed a bit tame for my liking.

Angles & Demons.

Another film I was dreading to see, since they butchered The Da Vinci Code (I'm not even gonna talk about the hair).
With no expectations whats so ever, I found this movie to be leaps and bounds better than the first.
The major problem with this film which really ruined it for me was the divergence from the novel. The whole Religion VS Science angle took a back seat in the film eventhough that whole angle was the foundation of the book. The changes in story line and the omition and addition of characters really pissed me off. But still, the hair was an improvement.


So there you go, a word to the wise.... after this, always watch movies without any expectations and you might enjoy it. Still haven't found the ultimate summer blockbuster but I'm enjoying the road getting there. Next up: Terminator Salvation....

No comments: